- Preparation time
- 180 mins
- Meal course
- Posted by
- Posted on
- May 13, 2018
Chocobananas are essentially frozen bananas on a stick, dipped in chocolate.
They are fun to make, especially with children, and make for creative party food. I served these at the blog launch event in Colombia and they were a hit!
They can almost pass as a healthy snack, if like me you can’t quite kick the chocolate from your diet, or you’re looking for an alternative to ice cream on a hot summer day.
The chocobanana is an ingenious Guatemalan invention that is sold all over the country, by street vendors and in corner stores. There was a time when I was consuming one a day when living in Guatemala. My cravings for chocobananas continued even after leaving the country, so I decided to have a go at making them at home. Here’s the recipe so you too can share in the fruit-filled chocolate fun.
Makes approximately 15 party-sized chocobananas
- Find a baking tray that will fit in your freezer and cover with foil or Clingfilm
- Peel the bananas and divide each one into three. Insert a stick into each third to create a lolly (as we’d say in the UK). Place all the bananas on the baking tray and put in the freezer for 30 minutes
- Now make the chocolate mixture. Break the chocolate into pieces and put in to a glass bowl with the oil. Melt the chocolate either in the microwave (stirring every 30 seconds for 2 minutes until melted) or in a bowl over a half-full pan of simmering water, stirring continuously
- Take each banana piece and dip into the melted chocolate. You may need to spoon over the chocolate to make sure the whole banana is fully covered
- Next, once the drips have stopped, roll the banana in the topping of your choice
- Carefully place the topped banana on the baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the bananas pieces until you’ve used all the ingredients
- Now place the tray in the freezer and leave overnight. If you can’t wait, try one after 2 hours; the banana should be frozen in the middle and the chocolate has set. They’re best kept in an airtight container in the freezer. And there you have it, homemade chocobananas!